動物の単語を使った表現&イディオム

● copycat … (他人の行動などを) まねる人、模倣者

Let's stop being copycats and try to be more creative.
猿まねはやめて独創性を持ちましょう。

● let the cat out of the bag … うっかり秘密を漏らす

This is a surprise party, so don't let the cat out of the bag.
サプライズパーティだから、うっかり秘密を漏らさないでね。

● catnap … 居眠り、うたた寝、仮眠

She is often seen having a catnap during work.
彼女が仕事中にうたた寝をしているのがよく目撃されます。

● feel like a fish out of water … 場違いに感じる、居心地が悪い

I felt like a fish out of water in my new school.
新しい学校では、とても居心地が悪かった。

He felt like a fish out of water in an academic atmosphere.
学問的な雰囲気の中で、彼はひどく場違いな気持ちを味わった。

● fishy … 疑わしい、うさんくさい

The story smells fishy to me.
その話は私にはどうもうさんくさい。

● There are plenty of fish in the sea. … 男 (女、恋の相手) なんていくらでもいる。

● pig out … (ブタのように) がつがつ食う

We pigged out on pizza and beer.
ピザとビールをしこたま腹に詰め込んだ。

● When pigs fly. … 不可能だ、あり得ない

● hog (sth) … ~を独り占めする

How much longer are you going to hog the bathroom?
いつまでバスルームを独り占めしてるつもりなの?

● I could eat a horse. … (馬さえ食べられるぐらい) ひどく空腹だ

I'm so hungry that I could eat a horse.
お腹がすきすぎて、馬でも食べられるよ。

● hear (sth) straight from the horse's mouth … 本人 (関係者) から直接聞く

I heard it straight from the horse's mouth that they are getting divorced.
あの夫婦、離婚するって本人から直接聞きました。

● hold (one's) horses … はやる気持ちを抑える

Hold your horses.
落ち着きなさい。ちょっと待ちなさい。

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

be disappointed with / at / in / by の使い分け

recently と lately の使い分け

英検1級レベルの単語と例文 — cleave

「~せざるを得ない」の英語表現

映画「ランボー」で英語の勉強 - 5